I’m not much of a gamer, but the Sims is definitely one of the games I love most. I’m going to try and not rant, because I like the Sims 4, but not as much as the Sims 3.
I’ve been playing the Sims games since the first game came out. I’ve played the Sims 2, and then the Sims 3. It was easy to transition to each new game. However, it was not the case for the Sims 4. I think part of it is that I’ve been playing the Sims 3 for longer than any of the other games and the Sims 4 seems so incredibly different than the rest of them.
I want to share with you the differences between the two games and why I chose to play the Sims 3 over the newest game the Sims 4.
- Create a sim
- In the Sims 4, you can literally sculpt every aspect of your sims (as advertized in the commercials). I really enjoy this feature in the Sims 4 because it allows me to create more dynamic sims to play. However, I do not like the personality aspect. It seems very limited, and I like my sims to have more freedom to their personality.
- In the Sims 3, one aspect that I really like is being able to change the pattern on the clothing. There are SO many options, and while I have my favourite patterns, there is nothing you can’t do! If you create a pattern and a colour that you really like and want to use it again, you can save it into a library and find it later without trying to replicate it the hard way.
- I understand that people like to create a sim as fast as possible to get on with the game, but for me creating a sim is more important to me than playing story mode.
- Build/Buy mode
- Every game has this build a house mode that allows you to construct walls and rooms for your family to live in. But in the Sims 4 you can pick up entire rooms, furniture and all, and move or rotate it and place it anywhere you want! When I first played the Sims 4 this was so much fun to play around with. But when I got to the decorating aspect of house building, it really fell short because the Sims 3 has the option to customise everything in your home, and the Sims 4 only has a few colour options for your furniture.
- I am really into house building on the Sims 3. I can spend up to two full hours on a house. I like building anything from a small, cozy family home to massive, extravagant mansions. The Sims 3 is the reason I want to custom build my own house one day, and I will no doubt use the Sims 3 as a tool when I do so.
- The only thing I will say about the Sims 4 here is that it is not open world like the Sims 3. I like being able to explore town without taking my sims with me. I also love getting to know the pre-made sims around town. In Sunset Valley there are so many subplots that add a fun dynamic to the game. From the rich Landgraabs who have a long time grudge against their neighbours the Altos, to the mysterious Goth family, to literally anyone else in Sunset Valley. Because each pre-made sim has a story and I like meeting sims naturally, without being contained to a single neighbourhood lot.
This is just my opinion on the games. I can’t give any more opinions as to the expansions or anything, because I haven’t played any of the Sims 4 expansions. But you can experience my views in both the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 base games.
Thank you if you read this, and sorry if you found this boring. ^_^